The kids are off for the whole week, from the 12th through the 20th, and Easter is on Sunday, April 20th. There are many kid centered activities and some for adults in our area.
Things to do during the week
Happy Hollow: On April 13th , is the World and National Day of Puppetry with the Happy Hollow Puppet Theater. Kids will enjoy puppet making activities, puppet display in the Learning Lodge and shows 12 pm Coyote’s Giveaway; 2 pm Magic Kettle Stories; and 4pm Puppylocks and the Three Bears.
But any day of the week from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Happy Hollow is fun for the little ‘uns It is an amusement park with a small zoo where they can pet some animals. For information go here.
Happy Hollow is located in Kelly Park which also houses an interesting History Park.
Kelly Park 1650 Senter Rd, San Jose, CA 95112.
Other Zoos: The San Francisco zoo is always fun. The Oakland Zoo has all kinds of special activities during the week including Earth Day 2014: Party for the Planet Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:00am – 3:00pm.
Filoli: One of the best things to do this time of year is to check out the bursts of spring color at Filoli. Discover it all again this week (though Filoli is closed for Easter itself). Art exhibitions and classes round out the always gorgeous landscape at this jewel of Woodside.
• Salsa Festival:, check out SF’s 6th Annual Salsa Festival. Three nights of great music and dancing might be just what the Bunny ordered!
Easter Egg Hunts Saturday April 19th
• If you have little ones hoping to see the Easter Bunny and hunt for Easter Eggs this holiday, Menlo Park has two great events. At Burgess Park from 10 am to 12 pm, the Easter visits with toys and candy filled eggs for children 8 and younger. There’s crafts, a bounce house, and they can get their picture taken with the Bunny – thanks to the Menlo Park Firefighters Association for this one! There is also an egg hunt at Menlo’s own Kelly Park.
• The City of San Mateo has its annual Eggstravaganza in Central Park from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. This annual event is in its 37th year.
• The Gamblin Garden is A non-profit horticultural foundation in Palo Alto. It’s Carriage House Patio has the Puppet Circus featuring a tight rope walking bear, elephants, lions, and more as members of the Ding-A-Ling Bros Circus. The puppet show is followed by an Easter egg hunt in the garden for kids 2-6 years old.. Apr. 19th with three start times: 9:30 a.m., 11a.m., and 12:30 p.m. Check out cost and location here.
• Los Altos Spring Egg Hunt is for kids walking to age 10 with Mr. E. Bunny himself there as early as 9:30 am. to kick things off. The Egg Hunt begins at 10 a.m. sharp. Following the egg hunt, there will be a kid’s concert. Any teenagers in the family will want to be part of the Egg Launch at the same park, at 10:45 a.m. at the Hillview Soccer Field, 97 Hillview Ave., Los Altos.
• A unique opportunity for tech-savvy kids and families is the HacKid Conference at the Tech Museum of innovation. Focused on STEAM learning, this conference is held on April 19th and 20th. From their website: “HacKid is a new kind of conference focused on providing an interactive, hands-on experience for the entire family— kids aged 5-17 & their parents — in order to raise awareness, excitement and understanding of technology, gaming, mathematics, safety, privacy, networking, security and engineering and their impact on society and culture.” Sounds great to us!
On Easter Sunday itself, a trip up to San Francisco might just be in order for the 23rd Annual Union Street Spring Celebration & Easter Parade. The Celebration runs from 10 to 5, with the Parade at 2 pm. This great event is held on Union Street between Gough and Fillmore. Activities for the kids and the family include bounce houses, a petting zoo, a pony ride, rides and games, a dedicated children’s activity area, and even a climbing wall! To treat the adults, live music and Union Street’s amazing restaurants are on hand. The Parade last year featured 45 entries, and the Celebration hosts an Easter Bonnet contest! Check out more information here.