Belle Alert – MRSA dangerous to us and our pets!

November 11, 2007


There are disturbing reports about MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) a scary drug resistant staphylococcus infection that can be passed by a simple touch. MRSA has been reported as being contracted in hospitals, workout areas and locker rooms, homes for the elderly and, the scariest of all, schools.

Something not being widely reported is that unlike many illnesses, this one can infect other species. Dogs, cats and even our equine friends can catch this infection from us or pass it to us, if they are infected. There are increasing reports of MRSA infection and colonization in horses and evidence that MRSA can be transmitted between horses and humans. Because the number of hospital and community-acquired MRSA infections in human beings is increasing, it seems likely that MRSA infections in animals is also becoming more frequent.

Small wounds are an open invitation to this infection and perhaps even something as common as the way our animals say hello by touching noses can transmit it. See WebMd for suggestions for prevention. If you are like us and our little ones, playing and working in a barnyard brings with it a frequent share of cuts and scrapes, so lets all be very cautious and make sure we pay extra attention to help protect our children and our animal friends.

3 Comments on “Belle Alert – MRSA dangerous to us and our pets!

  1. Anonymous

    This is the only place I have read about this. Important information thank you.

  2. Jumps

    Wow, thanks for the tip. Why havent we heard about this before? Will start also watching our horses and other critters carefully.

  3. Anonymous

    We didnt have a clue this was possable. It’s very scary, the infection as well as the many sources it can come from.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *